Friday, November 30, 2007

Letter from Associate Profesor George Dutton, University of California, Los Angeles.

Dear Mr. Nair,

Thanks for writing your blog to get the word out about what is going on in Singapore and the farce of a trial awaiting Chee Soon Juan. I am currently teaching an intro course on Southeast Asian Studies at UCLA (125 students enrolled), and will be lecturing tomorrow on censorship and political restrictions across the region, in which Singapore will feature prominently. Last week the class saw an excerpt from "Singapore Rebel" and so I appreciated your update on Mr. Chee so that I could share it with my class. I spent a year at NUS from 1987-1988, and so saw the ISA being applied at first hand, so to speak, and have tried to follow the situation in S'pore closely since then. Keep up the good work and I'll be following your blog with interest.

Best wishes,

George Dutton
________________________________________
George Dutton
Chair, Southeast Asian Studies IDP
Associate Professor, UCLA Dept. of Asian Languages and Cultures 290 Royce Hall Los Angeles, CA 90095

No comments: