Monday, February 1, 2010

Singapore. Escape by sea!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

You know what happened to me in 2008 in Singapore. I had criticized Lee's judge Belinda Ang Saw Ean and got held up in Singapore for 6 months as the earliest date they would give me for trial was in September while my arrest was in May.

Naturally I was desperate, to get out, to take care of business in California, but with my passport held, I was helpless in the island.

You know by now that I know how to sail a boat, sailing being one of my hobbies. On a couple of occasions while I was at Changi beach, overlooking the Straits of Johore, I must say I had some rather dangerous ideas.

If I could get hold of a dinghy, I thought, sailing across to the Malaysian side did not seem a problem. Many years ago when I had a Laser dinghy,at Changi Sailing Club, I sailed it past Tenkong Kechil, Tekong Besar and nearly up to Pengarrang Johore which has a immigration and customs post.

I realise there were police boats patrolling the area but I doubt they would stop a completely normal pleasure sailing craft and mistake it for an immigrant smuggler. In a few hours, I would have been on the Malaysian side, and with a few dollars and belongings, beach the boat in an isolated stretch, find my way to the American Embassy in Kuala Lumpur and hope to get a passage to California.

Although I thought of this, I never planned to do it. Once I had written a blog post in this blog asking if anyone could lend me a boat while I was there merely to do a bit of sailing for fun, escape was never in my mind when I asked for a boat. But ASP Zakaria, the Lee Kuan Yew bootlicker, who was prosecuting me for for criticizing Judge Belinda Ang Saw Ean became all exited about the blog post thinking that I was trying to escape by sea! I saw him with the printout out of it, going to court and for a moment I thought he was going to accuse me of attempting to escape.

But I wonder whether I would have made it had I really tried. Imagine Singapore newspapers headlines the next day "Gopalan Nair's daring escape by sea"! Or I may not have been so lucky, arrested by Malaysian police and handed over to Singapore for a long time in a Singapore jail. On the other hand, I could have been another "Papillon" who escapes from Devil's Island, French Guiana.

I tell you, there is nothing like true adventure.

Gopalan Nair
39737 Paseo Padre Parkway, Suite A1
Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Tel: 510 657 6107
Fax: 510 657 6914
Email: nair.gopalan@yahoo.com
Blog: http://singaporedissident.blogspot.com/

Your letters are welcome. We reserve the right to publish your letters. Please Email your letters to nair.gopalan@yahoo.com And if you like what I write, please tell your friends. You will be helping democracy by distributing this widely. This blog not only gives information, it dispels government propaganda put out by this dictatorial regime.

No comments: