Monday, November 2, 2009

Singapore Disciplinary Tribunal fails to provide court transcripts in Law Society Singapore vs Gopalan Nair

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Attached below is my Email to Angela Chopard, Singapore Disciplinary Tribunal in their failure to provide the evidence:


Singapore Law Society vs Gopalan Nair

Monday, November 2, 2009 7:46 PM
From: "Gopalan Nair"
Add sender to Contacts
To: angela_chopard@supcourt.gov.sg
Cc: yogeswari_n_vadivellu@supcourt.gov.sg

Hello Chopard,

As advised by you, we are writing to you and copying this to your co-worker Yogeswari d/o N Vadivellu.

I have received an Email from your office dated Oct 30, 2009 and a fax received at my office in Fremont California, USA today Nov 02, 2009 at 11.28 am from "Supreme" Court Singapore stating that I should send someone to the Singapore court to collect the transcripts.

Since I am physically in the US, I cannot go to your High Court in Singapore to collect anything. This suggestion is, to put it mildly, silly.

Let me remind you again. The responsibility to provide discovery in a case like this lies with you, the Tribunal having conduct of this case. The defendant, that is me, has no responsibility to go around writing to various people and organizations to collect evidence to defend himself. Again it is your responsibility as the Tribunal to let me have in sufficient time before the hearing all documentary and other evidence that even remotely relates to this case and my defense.

The transcripts of all evidence in both your High Court and the Subordiante Court are clearly material and relevant in order for me to defend myself. In addition I understand that the High Court has audio recordings of all testimony in Court. Since the manner and demenor of the testimony of the court and witnesses is highly relevant for me to defend my self, please also let me have not only the transcripts of both courts but also the audio recordings of the complete hearing in the High Court.

It is not my responsibility to write to various organizations and bodies like you have previously suggested.

Please arrange to let me have these items without any further delay.

You have my address.

Yours Faithfully,


Gopalan Nair
Attorney at Law

No comments: