Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Singapore Law Society vs Gopalan Nair; repeated request to let me defend myself

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The following letter is another request to the Singapore Disciplinary Tribunal to give me reasonable time to come to Singapore to defend myself in court. So far the Tribunal has refused, claiming 11 days notice for this is sufficient for me to make all travel arrangements, arrange my work schedule in USA, take leave of absence and travel from Fremont California USA to Singapore.

Second, up till yesterday, April 27, 2010, I had not heard anything about my request for permission to enter Singapore having been banned from entry. Suddenly yesterday they say that I could apply but I need a local Singapore sponsor to personally hand the forms with my photo to their office there. When told them this is impossible, since I have no one in Singapore to do this, they have now withdrawn this demand, but they need the forms sent to them.

Today being April 28, 2010, all this is too late anyway, since the hearing is scheduled for April 30, 2010 Singapore time, 2 days from now.

It seems as if the Singapore authorities are trying hard to keep me away, and if not, why else should they deliberately give me just 11 days to travel from one continent to another and not give me any permission at all, to enter the island but instead wait up till 2 days before the hearing to tell me this.

The Singapore Immigration claim that they sent me an Email on Dec 15, 2010 which I never received. Either they never sent it, or it went to the junk mail box. In any case, even if true, it is incumbent upon them to make sure I receive that communication, and not just remain silent all this while, even though I had sent them numerous Emails asking for that permission.

The reader will see that in these circumstances, if the Singapore government want to show they have even a semblance of the rule of law, they have no choice but to grant the extension of time. They would also have to stop engaging in this pattern of tricks and cunning to prevent me from defending myself, by giving me 11 days notice and not allowing me to enter Singapore.

I have sent the Email to the Tribunal, the ICA and the President of the Singapore Law Society, Sydney Michael Hwang.

Let's see what they have to say now.



Re: DT/12/2009 -

Gopalan Nair Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:29 PM
From: "Gopalan Nair" To: "Angela CHOPARD" Cc: peterlow@CNPLAW.COM, sswong@CNPLAW.COM, psim@CNPLAW.COM, michael@mhwang.com

Hello Angela Chopard etc,
This message is in addition being sent to counsel for the law Society of Singapore Peter Low (aka Peter Cuthbert Low) and Sydney Michael Hwang, Singapore's President of the Singaporean Law Society.

A full and more detailed letter will follow to all parties. This message will be posted on the Web Site Blog Singapore Dissident so the public can judge once again on the question of Singapore's claim to have the "rule of law".

I request again that the only right thing for you to do is to continue the 30th April 2010 hearing date to 30 days thereafter.

I did not hear anything from the ICA about my permission to enter Singapore until yesterday. Only yesterday I received an Email from them asking that I fill up a form to apply to re-enter Singapore. I did not hear from them at all during all this time. They claim that they sent me an Email about this on Dec 15, 2009. However I never received it. It could have gone to my junk mail but in any case I never received it. You are aware of this since I have all along been complaining to you and to them that they have not given the permission to enter Singapore.

It is in your interest and your image locally and internationally not to be seen as practically denying me a right to represent myself.

In any case, you only sent me the hearing notice on April 19, 2010 leaving me only 11 days to the hearing. This too by any standards is not enough.

I am therefore once again asking that you postpone the hearing date of April 30, 2010 to enable me to attend the hearing in Singapore

Thank you.

Gopalan Nair

Gopalan Nair
39737 Paseo Padre Parkway, Suite A1
Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Tel: 510 657 6107
Fax: 510 657 6914
Email: nair.gopalan@yahoo.com
Blog: http://singaporedissident.blogspot.com/

Your letters are welcome. We reserve the right to publish your letters. Please Email your letters to nair.gopalan@yahoo.com And if you like what I write, please tell your friends. You will be helping democracy by distributing this widely. This blog not only gives information, it dispels

No comments: